[clue-tech] SFD 2008.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 21:48:13 MDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:15 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Michael S. Farnsworth wrote:
>>
>> 1. How the @#!$ to get ALSA/Jack/anything working to be able to do
>> playback with Noteedit or Rosegarden music notation.

My general impression (based on work and home) is that most of the
newest PCs may well require more recent kernels (or the very latest)
if you want sound. Examples.

1. On our RHEL4 systems (ancient, alas) we lost sound as soon as the
next level of HP desktop boxes arrived. Sure, we could rebuild alsa
from scratch, or switch to RHEL5 but then RH screwed up LDAP support
in 5.2 (appears to be fixed now).

2. A year an a half ago, I was running Ubuntu, and sound was working
fine on my box, but I tried Debian Testing, and the kernel was too old
to drive my card.

Sound under Linux is an art not a science.

--
Collins Richey