[clue-tech] SFD 2008.

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Fri Sep 19 07:42:42 MDT 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:43:13 -0600

> Also, there's the up-and-coming PulseAudio framework. I guess it's
> supposed to be the answer to the various complaints about all the other
> audio frameworks. So far, I've just avoided it, because ALSA does me just
> fine.

It's definitely a YMMV thing. I've had excellent luck using PulseAudio via
ALSA on a few different sound controllers. There was no doubt that the
Soundblaster Live 5.1 in my Linux Mint desktop would have no problems: the
Live! 5.1 has been supported in ALSA almost from day one. But the sound
controllers in my work (Dell Latitutde D820) and personal (Dell Inspiron
1521) work perfectly under this configuration, too.

The most useful feature of PulseAudio for me is the ability to set volume
levels on an application level. For example, I am able to set the volume of
sound alerts from Pidgin very low, but keep the volume on Amarok up at a
good music rockin' level. Before PulseAudio, a sound alert would scare the
sh!t out of me.

Sound is definitely still evolving in Linux. but when it works well, it
REALLY works well.

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
I thought dabbling in the black arts would be good for a chuckle....
how wrong I was....