[clue-tech] Interesting sidux/smxi news

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Sep 21 11:51:45 MDT 2008

David L. Anselmi wrote:

>> and seeing how that group of people who LOVED Linux at RH 8/9 get
>> utterly PISSED OFF at being forced into hardware upgrades, so they
>> could keep getting reasonable security patches...
>
> You can't claim that Linux requires hardware upgrades as fast as
> Windows.  Be serious.

Agreed on the slowdown on the topic, no problem.  I can wait for Linux
(as a whole) to have some brilliant ideas...

By the way, you DID touch on something I've always wondered about this
industry since before I was in it... and it's not "picking on Linux" at
all... but may belong on CLUE-Talk.  I dunno.

"CAN software ever be really great?", has always been my question.
Having been "ruined" by learning computers from the "bad old days" of
32KB of RAM and 8K of ROM for the OS, and being taught that they're just
logical machines and do EXACTLY what someone programmed them to do... I
always thought so.  But the modern computing world is WAY different than
that world, because it's building exponentially on top of code that has
bugs.  If the kernel has bugs, the OS has bugs, and the desktop has
bugs, and the UI has bugs... the growth rate outstripped our ability to
lower the percentage of bugs released in any system or sub-system many
years ago, using the "modern" development techniques for desktop software.

But, than a few years ago I read up on how aerospace and others with
mission-critical software do their development, and learned that it most
certainly CAN... which was encouraging, but the process/procedure
involved is so far removed from where desktop developers "live".

People don't die if my word processor crashes.  (Well, they might if I
were working on a financial aid package for a starving country and the
report was delayed by a day, but it's a lot harder to make the correlation!)

Anyway... I digress.  Going back to this hardware thing...

Just focusing on MAJOR Linux distros... the stuff we all hear and know
about... YES, it does require hardware updates at the same RATE as the
commercial stuff does... it just lagged behind for a while on where the
cut-off started.

This project (www.irlp.net) was (and still is) built on Pentium I era
machines.  Those machines are still operable, and many of the original
users are still running them in this radio network.  The project started
  around the time of RH 6.2.

The major "distro-induced" changes that happened:

RH 9 - WAY more bloated than RH 6.3, 7, or 8.  But ran pretty
consistently on VERY old hardware.

Fedora Core - Sound changed (critical for an audio/radio network) and
screwed up a lot of people's systems.  Hardware requirements for video
and RAM went up by a factor of 2X.

CentOS - More required hardware updates.

So... yes... the "event horizon" of where things go into twilight is WAY
further back in Linux, but the RATE at which the upgrades are necessary
-- granted, using the same basic distro for the project and not
switching to a specialized "lightweight" distro, since that part is not
my call -- is starting to track with Windows... it's just a lot further
back down the road.

This hardware still works and does the job, but most of the nodes have
had to lock down all outside access, forego any semblance of security
updates (now that Fedora Legacy and similar projects finally gave up on
backporting stuff that simply wouldn't work anymore on the older OS's)
and keep chugging away on old hardware as best they could.

Many could upgrade, and did... but had to learn "new and different"
things about managing what to their eyes is just "Linux" as the core OS
had to be revved to keep up with RedHat's choice to get out of the
desktop market for their core business.

But others (there's over 3000 systems running this stuff historically --
and remember the MAJORITY of these folks are non-Linux end-users who are
NOT all that interested in learning Linux, but are technical enough to
get through an install and wire up some stuff from a radio to a PC
running Linux) felt a bit hosed.

(Also remember, SOME of these folks are also still running Win 95/98.
No, I'm not kidding.)

So that's just some of the "stuff" that's happened, supporting these few
thousand end-users of Linux over the years...

People who don't KNOW Linux, just really don't like this type of change.
  I used to argue for it, "Ah, but it's making things better for you"
and then got realistic... no, it really wasn't.

Their Pentium-I sitting there doing a job day-in, and day-out just
needed security patches, they didn't need an OS upgrade every 6 months.

Problem was, there was nowhere to get those patches for them.  Devs
weren't interested, changes were too deep and ugly in the code for a
mere sysadmin to figure out how to backport them, and generally -- we
just threw up our hands and kept releasing newer versions of the
stripped down OS CD's (where we removed the complexity and took the
package list down to ONLY what was needed to run a radio linking
system), and encouraging people "downstream" of us to keep up with
upgrades.  We had no choice but to just pass that silliness downstream,
without some brainiac devs who had time to manually merge security
patches for RH 6, 8, 9, and 9 versions of Fedora, and now CentOS using
the alternate kernel that puts OSS sound support back into the upstream
RHEL, which broke/removed that too.

So... that's my "forced upgrade mess" story.  I know Linux supports
things longer than other options, but that's like saying Windows 95
supports old machines too.  REAL support for older stuff is long-dead,
when it comes to security and other updates... if you're using a well
known "brand name" distro, so to speak.

(I've long been an advocate that Debian would have been better for that
project, but back when it started -- Debian's installer was atrocious
and would have scared off 50% of the folks who could succesfully load
RH.  We looked at things like Puppy and other well-known "mini-distros"
too, but none really captured the attention the brand-name "Linux"
distro did.)

Nate