[clue-tech] not really a linux question but...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Sep 26 13:43:47 MDT 2008

Bob Meetin wrote:
> Before I burn the bridge I would like a suggestion here.  I have a DVD+
> recorder which lites up on my desktop PC but it doesn't want to record
> and doesn't see DVD+ media (or DVD-) media to record.  I know you can
> get a new drive for $30-ish.  Is there anything I should try with this
> drive before turning it into roadkill?

Probably not seriously worth the effort unless you're cash strapped bad
enough that spending $30 worth of time on it is worth it.

Does it read/record CD media okay?  Read DVDs?  Might still be able to
salvage it for something, I guess... in another machine doing a specific
task.

> Related to this, my laptop, older Dell, which I don't use due to a
> motherboard/battery problem, has an almost new DVD combo +/- recorder.
> Is there any kind of adapter that could be hooked up to retrofit it to
> replace the seemingly failed DVD recorder on the desktop. It is not cost
> so much as a preference to recycle and reuse.  Otherwise to craigslist
> it goes.

Most laptop DVD drives have odd packaging and electrical connectors that
unless Dell themselves makes such a thing for it, probably not something
anyone else would make.

Nate