[clue-tech] Proper files storage etiquette?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Apr 1 16:36:59 MDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:34:55 +0000 (UTC)
dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:

> The intent is to make it easier for package developers to create that
> packages that will install into the correct locations. FHS recommends
> that any packages installed by the user go into /opt or /usr/local. In
> other words, the goal again is "it just works". This is the purpose of
> standardization.

Exactly.

So, when you're dealing with your data, the package systems have nothing
to do with it (or shouldn't). Sure, some apps do things like try to mimic
the "My {whatever}" stuph that Windoze does, and I hate that, but if it
makes it easier for some people, hey, what the heck.

But that's why I don't worry about trying to shoehorn my data directories
into /home or someplace. It's my data, and as long as I know where stuff
is, it's all good. So I now have 2 data drives, /pile and /daisy. /pile
is kinda like heap (?) storage, except I have it mostly
hierarchical. /daisy is a bit better organized.

In a business environment, I'd go with less fun names, such
as /data1, /data2, or something descriptive, where called for. Except
that putting metadata (business use) into a mount point name gets b0rked
when you repurpose your storage.