[clue-tech] Two things

David Guntner davidg at akaMail.net
Fri Apr 3 11:08:53 MDT 2009

Jeremy Slade wrote:

> foo7775 wrote:
>>   Hi all, I'm hoping that I can "pick the collective/community brain"
>> for just a second...
>>
>> First, I'm looking to set up a web site, & I'd like to request
>> solutions for a good domain name registrar & a good hosting service.
>> (Obviously I'd prefer a Linux environment.)  As far as the registrar
>> goes, I have reasons that I'd prefer not to use GoDaddy and Dotster,
>> but AFAIK any other U.S.-based group should be OK...
>
> I've been with Dreamhost for about 4 years, been very happy on the
> whole.  I used to do registrations through registerfly.com, but use
> Dreamhost for that as well now.
>
> <$200 every two years for hosting, plus ~$10/year for each domain
> registration.  Full ssh access, their own custom panel which is *lots*
> better than cpanel.  phpMyAdmin for mysql, one-click installs and
> various other goodies.  I host a couple of low-traffic rails-based
> sites with them (shared hosting), and it works just fine.  Support has
> always been responsive and very competent.

+1 on the Happy Dreamhost User side.  I've been with them for a few
years now.  They throw in one domain for free with the hosting, others
cost $9.95/year (if I recall correctly).  They start you out with a
fairly generous amount of disk space and bandwidth allowance per month,
and the longer you stay with them, the more your allotment goes up.

> Only downside I've seen is response time.  I don't have hard data for
> comparison, just seems slower than what I get visiting other sites.

I think it depends on how busy things are at the time.  Sometimes my
sites seem a bit slow, other times they hum along just fine.  Personally
I think that's just a risk you take with shared hosting. :-)  Dreamhost
does offer VPS too, for those who want better protection of their
environment and supposedly better response time (I say "supposedly"
because I haven't actually used their VPS service, so I don't know how
much of an impact going to VPS has on you).

             --Dave