[clue-tech] Virtualization, GuestOS bare metal restore/reload

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 19:25:07 MDT 2009

Hmm ...

After thinking about what might happen with an import after export ...
I anticipate a trick will be rescue booting the virtual machine so as
to be able to restore say root from a level 0 dump ... and wonder if
a dump/restore method with linux tools is even feasable. On a physical machine I usually just do a rescue boot from CD create if necessary the partitions/logical volumes/filesystems/etc layout mount the targets and restore. I am guessing there is an easy straight forward way to do the analog of a bare metal restore with this VMware stuff, but I always end up rigging something convoluted :)

-Mike