[clue-tech] Limewire Private Network

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Tue Apr 7 17:18:17 MDT 2009

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 23:14:56 -0600
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
> > http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/03/the-new-version-of-p2p.ars
>
> No.  I don't have any friends and no one wants my files. ;-)

Whaddaya got?

> It looks like you just use UPnP.  If your router/firewall doesn't
> support that you pick a port manually and do a port forward.  (It'd be
> cool if you didn't have to forward through server magic, but oh well.)
>
> Have you gotten it to connect and share publicly?  I don't see anything
> about adding a leaf to leaf connection directly and I don't understand
> what the adding a friend stuff means.

Nah, not interested in public sharing. Just trusted friends.

> Oh, wait, here's the direct connect part:
>
> http://wiki.limewire.org/index.php?title=User_Guide_Directconnect
>
> Did you try that?  It wants an IP and port, which is what I'd expect.
> Should be easy from there.  Is there a chance either ISP is blocking
> things?

Well, from reading the v.5 stuff, it sounds like it's supposed to di the
direct connect thing automagically, by somehow using Jabber to figure out
what's what, including the IP address. But I can try falling back to that.

But yeah, we tried port forwarding etc. Dunno if either ISP blocks P2P.

jed