[clue-tech] RAID no. of disks

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 22:05:43 MDT 2009

mike havlicek wrote:

> [...]

Well for one, it depends on how it's implemented.  For example, we've
had problems with disk failures when we've created md devices that
consist of other md devices (i.e. RAID 1+0 over say 14 disks).  At least
it was a problem to replace the drives without rebooting the machine,
which is also a consideration for us.  But let's say you're ok with
using 2 volumes and not creating a linear or striped array of 6 drives
each.  If you're using RAID 5, you'd have 1 redundant drive in each
array and only a total of 10 usable disks.  It's similar to the 12-disk
RAID 6, with some minor differences.  3 packs of 4 disks would require 3
redundant drives, and therefore only give you 9 disks of usable space...
you get the idea.

When you start using specialized hardware, then things get even more
interesting.  For example our best storage is actually technically RAID
3 (with spares), but with special disk controllers, memory buffers, and
a parallel architecture that make it perform at least a RAID 5 level, if
not much better than you would expect.

Don't get me wrong, I think the advice Jack Parker mentioned is
excellent for most people.  People shouldn't just choose RAID 5 because
it's "what everyone else is using."  But in my experience RAID 5 & 6
have only been a problem when there was a fundamental problem with the
hardware (bad communication through the HBA, etc.)  and too many drives
get dropped at once.  It hasn't been a problem simply from drive
failures, and we do have a lot that fail.

Angelo