[clue-tech] RAID no. of disks

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 21:55:13 MDT 2009

--- On Wed, 4/8/09, Angelo Bertolli <angelo.bertolli at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Angelo Bertolli <angelo.bertolli at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [clue-tech] RAID no. of disks
> To: "CLUE technical discussion" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
> Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 8:58 PM
> Yeah, I've read it all before.
> With upwards of probably 2 Petabytes of
> data at this point, we're not going to spend the extra
> money to have
> completely redundant data.  Everything is a tradeoff.

If you had 12 drives and wanted RAID 5 tolerance (not using any spares)
what would be the comparison between say usable space and performance overhead in concatenating 2 packs of 6 disks, 3 packs of 4 disks, 4 packs of 3 disks, or one 12 pack to get one usable glob ?:) (Ooh and performance hit when you do start losing drives... or is it best not to glob it?

-Mike