[clue-tech] RAID no. of disks

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Thu Apr 9 08:42:57 MDT 2009

Big arrays from EMC and others typically allocate drives into raid groups.
Over say 48 drives in a drive shelf you might configure 6 raid groups of 8
drives each.  The array management software then allows chunks from all the
raid groups to be striped into logical units that are presented to the host.

Remember that raid 5 uses a three block rolling parity scheme.  The data on
any single drive can be re-constructed from the two adjacent drives in the
raid group.   So the number of drives in the group does not impact the
ability to reconstruct from a single drive failure.

If someone did create a raid 5 group with 1000 drives it it you would indeed
get 999 drives worth of capacity.   But other practical limits tend to get
in the way of that big of a raid group deployment.