[clue-tech] MS Access

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 21:16:14 MDT 2009

A sqlite-backed web application was the first thing that came to mind when the problem was presented.

Rails is awesome, but it is a framework and would not work out of the box like Access and its form creator.   Rails defaults to sqlite for its database backend.  Works great for development purposes, but I'd be hesitant about using it for concurrent multiple users.  Rails uses a DB for object relational mapping and is mostly database agnostic as long as you don't depend on a database-specific feature, so it wouldn't be too hard to switch DB backends if necessary.  Rails has a feature called migrations and keeps track of the database schema which makes switching easy.  In fact, a common scenario is to use sqlite for development and mysql for deployment.