[clue-tech] WAS: MS Access

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Tue Apr 14 15:43:47 MDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:16:14PM -0700, Brian Gibson wrote:
> Rails is awesome, but it is a framework and would not work out of the
> box like Access and its form creator.   Rails defaults to sqlite for its
> database backend.  Works great for development purposes, but I'd be
> hesitant about using it for concurrent multiple users.  Rails uses a DB
> for object relational mapping and is mostly database agnostic as long as
> you don't depend on a database-specific feature, so it wouldn't be too
> hard to switch DB backends if necessary.  Rails has a feature called
> migrations and keeps track of the database schema which makes switching
> easy.  In fact, a common scenario is to use sqlite for development and
> mysql for deployment.

Fascinating.  I've been reading up on web frameworks lately and working
through some tutorials.  And I'm pretty sure you could s/Rails/Django/g
in the above statement and it would all still be true...

Not trying to start a flame-war, just an observation.

(It is so rare that I can post something intelligent to the list, that
I've decided to lower my triviality threshold :^)

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu 9FCF40FD
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
   gtalk (xmpp jabber): mrtuple at jabber.org, jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

"While it might seem that a simple increment operator is an atomic
operation, there's no guarantee that it is.  It's actually possible for
Thread 1 to update half of a 32-bit x while Thread 2 reads the full 32
bits, getting a mishmash instead of a valid integer.  (And that's only
one thing that can go wrong.  Another is that compiler optimization might
leave the integer in a register.  You really can't ever let threads
simultaneously access data without protection.)"

-- Marc J. Rochkind, *Advanced Unix Programming*, Second Ed.