[clue-tech] Sendmail oddity

Keith Christian keith1christian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:48:37 MDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:28 AM, foo7775 <foo7775 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have a chance to help someone, but unfortunately my experience doesn't
> really extend to sendmail.  According to the customer, "Email alerts are
> getting hung up in the system".  This is a red hat box, & I've been given a
> log snippet that contains the following:

Look at the /var/log/maillog file for "stat=Deferred" (and other)
messages. At the end of those lines is Sendmail's rationale for not
delivering the message.  You may see any of the following:

Connection timed out with (domain)
Connection refused by (domain)
421 Error
Recipient address rejected: Service temporarily unavailable
Name server: (domain): host name lookup failure
452 Insufficient system storage
Connection reset by (domain)

Et Cetera.

Entries like the following in /var/log/maillog appear for successfully
delivered email ("stat=Sent" at the end.)

Mar 29 04:30:00 ultra-mega-foo sendmail[5726]: n2TAU0ir005725:
to=<fred at mail.somedomain.com>, ctladdr=<george at anotherdomain.com>
(902/902), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=150129,
dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

=========Keith