[clue-tech] Static routing help?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Apr 15 17:50:37 MDT 2009

Hi Folks.

Normally, I'd RTFM some more, but after spending all afternoon attempting
to talk to a router, sitting in the hot phone closet off the wood shop,
no doubt sucking sawdust into the innards of my laptop, and trying to
read the route manpage on it's little screen (well, compared to my
glorious NEC monitor here at home), I'm suffer from MEGO syndrome.

Can someone tell me the incantations necessary to do correctly set up a
default route on Ubuntu 8.10, from the command line, given:

The netblock is 205.168.221.216 255.255.255.248
The router's LAN IP is 205.168.221.217

I infer from reading the manpage, that I have to first set up a static
route to the router, and then I can set up the default route. Actually,
all I need to do is get to the web admin page to reconfigure it to do
dhcp on 192.168.0.n, and change the router's LAN IP to 192.168.0.1.

Also, perhaps relevant, I can actually ping 205.168.221.217 from my
laptop, even without having created the route (or, come to think of it,
maybe I actually had a leftover route from what I thought was an
unsuccessful attempt). But I can't http to the admin page. Even though
ping uses ICMP, it still needs a route, no?

TIA,
jed