[clue-tech] Static routing help?

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Wed Apr 15 19:32:36 MDT 2009

in /etc/network/interfaces you'll need something like

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 205.168.221.XXX
netmask 255.255.255.248
gateway 205.168.221.217

Adjust address as appropriate.   The "default route" is a kind of "static
route" in this case.
In a DHCP environment the static route is an attribute given by the dhcp
server.

restart networking using "/etc/init.d/networking restart"

Routing within the "broadcast domain" is handled by ARP but to get to get to
addresses outside your local LAN requires that the system know where the
router is.  Hence the static route

HTH
CRF