[clue-tech] External Monitor can't display with Sidux

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:38:49 MDT 2009

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 10:17 -0600, joelinux at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> The external monitor port on Presario CQ60 doesn't work in sidux. I was attempting to give a presentation at the local Linux User's Group yesterday evening, and I couldn't get my laptop to sync with the projector in the room. Today I tried with an external display at home. I was able to get it to work in Vista once I was logged in, but not in sidux. Any ideas?
>>

> I don't use sidux so can't speak about it, but dual monitors support is
> an X.org driver configuration issue, no matter which distro you use.
>
> You don't mention the video hardware you have.  If it's intel, you might
> need to have the external monitor plugged in before you login.  The X
> server doesn't recognize the external monitor unless it's already
> plugged in when the server starts.  At least that's been my experience
> with an Intel 915GM video.

I can throw my config on the pile in case it helps.  I'm using ati, and
there's a program I have (not sure if it's from a repository) called
aticonfig that will produce different X config files depending on what
setup you want.  Here is an example of what's in mine:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Dual Monitor Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen 1" 0 0
    Screen         "Screen 2" RightOf "Screen 1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "fbdevhw"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "type1"
    Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "Xinerama" "ON"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor 1"
    Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor 2"
    Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    Option        "VideoOverlay" "off"
    Option        "OpenGLOverlay" "on"
    Option        "TexturedVideo" "off"
    Option        "DesktopSetup" "horizontal"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"