[clue-tech] External Monitor can't display with Sidux

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Apr 28 11:33:51 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 10:17 -0600, joelinux at earthlink.net wrote:
> The external monitor port on Presario CQ60 doesn't work in sidux. I was attempting to give a presentation at the local Linux User's Group yesterday evening, and I couldn't get my laptop to sync with the projector in the room. Today I tried with an external display at home. I was able to get it to work in Vista once I was logged in, but not in sidux. Any ideas?

I don't use sidux so can't speak about it, but dual monitors support is
an X.org driver configuration issue, no matter which distro you use.

You don't mention the video hardware you have.  If it's intel, you might
need to have the external monitor plugged in before you login.  The X
server doesn't recognize the external monitor unless it's already
plugged in when the server starts.  At least that's been my experience
with an Intel 915GM video.

If the Login (gdm) screen is already displayed (before you've logged
in), plugin the monitor and then restart X by typing
"Ctrl-Alt-Backspace".  Login, then check xrandr to see if it displays
the external monitor configuration.

Also, the intel drivers have been the first to be ported to a new X
architecture and have gone through some troubles along the way.  You can
see some of the issues I've had on my blog:
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=336
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=314
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=302
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=179

If sidux has really bleeding edge X.org then you might have additional
problems.  If you have really old X.org, then you have to go back to
what I was doing with Fedora 7 (the oldest of those 4 posts).  If you
have the latest stable X.org and your hardware is using Intel graphics,
then you'll likely run into some of the issues I did in those posts.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org