[clue-tech] Copying DVDs in Kubuntu?

Adrian F. Nagle, IV anagle at naglenet.org
Wed Aug 5 06:54:49 MDT 2009

Since I just learned I can create bootable DVDs, I thought I should backup some files onto DVD and make back up copies of home video DVDs.  I had DVDs made from old 8mm family film on each side of our family.

One set works just fine for watching in kaffeine and duplicating in k3b.  A second set of film however does not work in kaffeine and I get errors when trying to duplicate them.  Both sets were made from the same vendor, so I do not know what they did differently.

When I try to watch the second set in kaffeine, I do get the generic menu to play a video, but it will not play.  When trying to duplicate the DVD, I get a response that basically the DVD can't be read or is somehow invalid.  It plays fine in my regular DVD player (goes straight to video, no menu) so I know it works.

What are my options for duplicating and possibly watching this set of home videos in Kubuntu?  Do I look for other DVD burning software?

Thank you.

Adrian
Adrian Nagle ~ anagle at naglenet.org