[clue-tech] Note Software?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Aug 21 16:11:49 MDT 2009

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:08:37 -0700 (PDT)
> Brian Gibson wrote:
>
>> I just found this while searching: http://www.tiddlywiki.com/
>>
>> It looks like it's a JavaScript-driven, single-page wiki.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a big fan of being reliant on
> JavaScript. Also, from what I'm reading, it sounds as if the script
> would need disk write access outside the confines of the "sandbox"
> environment of the browser. That seems like a big security hole to me. I
> also saw mention that it uses http cookies to store persistent info, such
> as author name, and that strikes me as a poor architecture decision.

I'm using tiddlywiki similarly to your needs.  I like it but I don't see
a way to show all the edit history.  It may be there though.  I put my
tiddlywiki in version control anyway.

I don't know why you care about JavaScript.  Your interface will be
built in some language.

For data recovery, if you save a blank wiki file then you can use diff
to filter all the code out of your data.  It doesn't look pretty that
way but it's all there.

The script does need to write to your hard drive, but it's designed to
be used locally.  You can't use it remotely and update the server side
drive.

I don't think the cookie use is significantly different than other web apps.