[clue-tech] Linux Media Center options and applications

Shawn Perry redmop924 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 27 00:43:14 MDT 2009

Have a look at XBMC.  It is designed for exactly what you want.

On Aug 26, 2009 11:31 PM, "Angelo Bertolli" <angelo.bertolli at gmail.com>
wrote:

I just wanted to throw my situation out there to see if anyone had any
comments or suggestions regarding using Linux as a media player.  I've never
had a TV or cable (unless I had roommates who had such), and so over the
years I've essentially collected movies and series on DVD that I liked.  And
of course, now there's hulu which means I may never get cable (although a
nice large TV screen or projector might be in the future).  At any rate, the
point is, I basically have a computer in my living room, with an LCD.

I just recently bought a large hard drive so that I could simply load "all"
(haha, not even close) of my videos on it and watch it.  But shortly after,
I found myself wanting to be able to sit down with a remote control and have
a nice interface to browse and pick any of the videos I want.  So how do I
do this?  I have 3 options that I know of, all that do way more than I need:
 MythTV, Freevo, and LinuxMCE.  So far, I've tried MythTV.  I haven't been
able to get it to "import" the videos I already have, and I'm not even sure
it'll play some of the file types I have.  For example, I've used OGMRip to
create some videos.  I don't think I have a single mpeg which is what MythTV
seems to use for itself.

So does anyone know enough to point me in the right direction to get a
simple front end that:
1) Nicely lets me browse my video files with a 10-foot user interface
2) Supports a remote control (presumably with lirc)

I really don't need all the TV-recording stuff, but I don't mind having it
there.  I think unless I can figure out how to get MythTV to import my
videos, I'll try Freevo next since LinuxMCE looks like MythTV on steroids
and probably needs me to wipe out my current Linux install.

Angelo