[clue-tech] Linux Media Center options and applications

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Aug 27 09:35:16 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 11:13 -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Yeah, that's what they say, but evidently MythTV can't see it unless you
> import it (i.e. it's in the MythTV database).  I found something online
> that says I need to use the MythTV rebuild database script so it'll go
> and find all the files.  I may try that, and then go and try XBMC to see
> which I like better.

Yes, but its not that difficult (no need to "rebuild database").  Copy
your files to your configured video directory.  Then go to the Video
Manager and have it search IMBD to automatically add each file to the
db.  You have to do this for each file initially so the first time might
be time consuming if you have lots of videos.  In some cases it won't
find the right video metadata so you just add it manually.  Having
metadata will cause the file to show up when you browse your videos.

Alternatively, just go into the MythVideo setup screen (don't remember
off hand where that is at the moment but its not hard to find - look for
Video under setup) and have it show all files even if they aren't in the
db.  I believe in this case it will just display the filenames, though I
don't use this option so I'm not sure about that.

Also, IMDB changed some things so the auto search stuff doesn't work as
well as it used to (should still work for most common videos however).
I switched to another script which merges IMDB ids with another web
site, themoviedb.org.  This isn't hard to do but its more for the avid
fiddler.  See my posts on the subject:

http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=516
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=526

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org