[clue-tech] Linux Media Center options and applications

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 09:13:10 MDT 2009

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 01:31 -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>> I haven't been able to get it to "import" the
>> videos I already have, and I'm not even sure it'll play some of the file
>> types I have.  For example, I've used OGMRip to create some videos.  I
>> don't think I have a single mpeg which is what MythTV seems to use for
>> itself.
>
> MythVideo is used to play video files (as opposed to MythDVD which is
> used for playing right from the disk).  MythVideo is just an organizer
> for the video.  It can use multiple players, such as the internal MythTV
> player (which plays many formats), mplayer, and xine.  As long as you
> have the codecs, you can play pretty much whatever those tools will play
> under MythTV.  I play AVI rips along with ISO images under MythVideo
> using the internal player primarily but also mplayer on occasion.

Yeah, that's what they say, but evidently MythTV can't see it unless you
import it (i.e. it's in the MythTV database).  I found something online
that says I need to use the MythTV rebuild database script so it'll go
and find all the files.  I may try that, and then go and try XBMC to see
which I like better.

Angelo