[clue-tech] yum / apt update minimum age

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 17:16:41 MDT 2009

My experience with unstable (sidux).

1. I've only encountered about 3-4 significant problems in 2 years -
mostly fixed within hours or days.

2. There have been a number of mismatched packages due to mirrors not
updating on the same schedule (fix arrived but a dependancy is mia).
But then I miss almost all of these as well, since I use the smxi
utility for upgrades. The maintainer of smxi scans (daily, hourly,
very frequently) all of the common packages that are subject to this
problem (OpenOffice is the biggest culprit) and issues holds on the
fly to prevent undesirable upgrades.

3. Somehow I doubt that delaying for days/weeks will help to avoid the
mismatch problem, and even the true bugs may not be discovered/fixed
within this time frame.

So, I believe that the proposed methodology would only avoid problems
once in a blue moon on Debian, although Ubuntu may not be as through
in testing new packages.

--
Collins Richey