[clue-tech] laptops turn off touchpad

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 18:20:55 MST 2009

Everything is up and working on my netbook - System76 Starling. I've
put up sidux xfce variant. The later kernels support the wireless out
of the box. Even hibernate works with the exception of restoring the
wireless connection - fairly common. It's a simple matter of 'ifup
wlan0' to complete the connection. The wireless chooser package (Ceni)
on sidux sets /etc/network/interfaces, so restart is simple if you
haven't changed access points.

The only problem is the bloody touchpad. Whenever you're typing, the
cursor wanders off, and you spend more time typing over what you've
already keyed than typing new words. I've done some googling, but I
haven't found a simple way to turn off the touchpad. Most of the hits
involve screwing with xorg.conf. sidux follows the latest standard -
no xorg.conf - xorg figures it all out at startup.

I would prefer not to experiment if anyone has a suggestion.

Just discovered one more minor irritation. sidux always installs
iceweasel (aka firefox) with the spell checker set to DE, so I still
need to fix that.

--
Collins Richey