[clue-tech] wireless education for dummies (me)

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Dec 16 16:35:35 MST 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:30:30 -0700
Nate Duehr wrote:

> > The router is configured via a 192..... url. Unable to connect to the
> > router to configure.
>
> Interesting.  Even if you disconnect it from the rest of the LAN and
> provision an in-range IP on your machine with a cross-over Ethernet
> cable direct to it?

Sorta sounds like the Comcast router (er, "modem" in dumb-speak) is in
bridging mode. Which would be the way to run it if you're hooking another
router to it, though the newer WiFi routers seem to have mode for
co-existing with another router on the same network -- haven't looked
into how that works.

IIRC, a wireless access point is just a switch or hub that extends an
existing LAN, i.e. you daisy-chain to it, just like you'd chain up 2
hubs. Easy to use because you don't need to configure your router in
bridge mode.

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?