[clue-tech] Anyone know of a computer-controlled USB lamp?

YES NOPE9 yes at nope9.com
Fri Dec 18 20:50:52 MST 2009

Brian
I found this on eBay.   $12.50
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Module-Board-CP2102-Breakout_W0QQitemZ130337003713QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools?hash=item1e58b0d8c1

HACK alert  ...........
If you use the TXD output to drive a FET or transistor , you can turn
the FET  off by sending a break to the USB/serial port.  Removing the
break causes the TXD output to be high which turns on the FET.  You
can use the FET to turn the 5V on and off.
I will build one for you if you buy the CP2102 or something similar.
( You can even control the FET by sending a character with a lot of
zeroes in it.  Like an @ symbol. )  We can set up the circuit so that
the idle condition ( a high level ) turns on the FET and an @ symbol
turns it off for for a selected period of time.  Or we can reverse
that process.

Gus