[clue-tech] uninstall procedure

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Dec 21 17:48:30 MST 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:28:13 -0500
Louis Miller wrote:

> Thanks Marcus for taking the time to write that thorough explanation.
> You asked how I installed Skype. I went to the website, and clicked on
> the Ubuntu link. Then, the file showed up on my desktop and I
> right-clicked it and I believe opened it with Gdebi. Now, I understand
> why more people don't use Linux. :-P

Do you still have that file, and can you right-click on it, get a context
menu, and find the properties, or perhaps even an 'uninstall' item on the
menu?

Probably, you downloaded a .deb file, and Gdebi is a GUI front-end to
dpkg. You could try running Gdebi again, and seeing if it will show Skype
to you, then select it and remove it. Otherwise:

  dpkg --remove Skype

should do it. I can't, of course, be sure of what the package name is,
and you will probably have to replace 'Skype' with the actual name of the
package.

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?