[clue-tech] CLUE Talk Mailing list mbox file too big to rsynch

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Feb 1 10:45:26 MST 2009

Hi Folks.

I've been doing a nightly rsynch of all crucial CLUE data and config
files. This has worked fine for a backup for a couple years now, but I've
hit a snag.

The /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/clue-talk/ directory and the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/clue-talk.mbox/clue-talk.mbox file are
now both too large for rsync.

The CLUE-Talk mbox file is over 31MB. Yes, it really does contain every
message ever sent to CLUE-Talk.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to guess that rdiff-backup will have
the same problem, since it relies on librsync. Or maybe not.

Has anyone used rdiff-backup with very large files?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Anyone with experience using things such as Amanda and/or bacula have any
advice on how easy/difficult they are to install and run?

The requirement is pretty simple. Nightly backup of the CLUE mailing
lists, website, and various config files, to a remote machine.

jed