[clue-tech] CLUE Talk Mailing list mbox file too big to rsynch

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 1 11:53:35 MST 2009

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> The /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/clue-talk/ directory and the
> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/clue-talk.mbox/clue-talk.mbox file are
> now both too large for rsync.

Can you be more specific about how it fails?  I suspect the problem can
be solved without changing the mechanism.

> The CLUE-Talk mbox file is over 31MB. Yes, it really does contain every
> message ever sent to CLUE-Talk.

The clue-talk directory contains 110MB, FWIW.

> Anyone with experience using things such as Amanda and/or bacula have any
> advice on how easy/difficult they are to install and run?

I would stay away from bacula.  It's a lot like "enterprise" backup
apps, so it isn't trivial to configure.  (A day's worth of reading docs
to understand the terminology and the config file design.  Not rocket
science but time consuming.)  It also follows the usual full,
differential, incremental model that we came to know with tape backup
systems.  I have a feeling that's obsolete.  Or at least overly complex
for small systems.

I expect I'd feel the same way about amanda.

> The requirement is pretty simple. Nightly backup of the CLUE mailing
> lists, website, and various config files, to a remote machine.

rsync is about as simple as you can get for this.  I'd use rdiff-backup
if I wanted to have copies of different points in time.