[clue-tech] webserver

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Feb 9 20:56:58 MST 2009

Including a private message thanks much for the overview and the hosting
option offers.  So much good stuff to consider...  Clearly, totally
clearly doing this myself is like tossing a sheep into a wolf den.  Good
dabblers know how to draw boundaries.

To me it does not matter so much where the test system is hosted so long
as I can get SSH and command line access (some version of Linux) to set
up and configure the website.  It will need Apache server, MySQL, PHP,
probably ftp, the regular stuff, no control panel.  This would not be
permanent, best guess perhaps a month.  I need to get some data to
evaluate performance, response times, etc.

What's happening is that I see some incredibly inconsistent performance
in page load respond time with my sites which are all hosted using
shared hosting.  Thus I would like to eliminate that variable and see if
it makes a difference.

Will I need to register a new domain and temporarily point it to the
solution or can it live temporarily as an IP address?  Payment - perhaps
in addition to tossing a beer and a few bucks into the pool I could
offer some assistance if needed with the CLUE website? Or other?

So with all this great new info, who is still game?

-Bob