[clue-tech] SYSFS_DEPRECIATED_V2

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 09:27:00 MST 2009

Hello,

I am building a v2.6.28.6 kernel for use with CentOS 5.2. In general whats a definitative way to determine if a distro needs this feature?

I have done a "find /sys/class | xargs ls -l | grep l" and get entries like

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 19 08:10 \
device -> ../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0f.2

which leads me to believe the stock running kernel (2.6.18-92el5PAE) on
this machine has "some" SYSFS enabled. The question is whether it is necessary.

Ultimately I am trying to alleviate some more irritating problems that I see from this vanilla install:

- calls to hwclock fail
- kjournald eventually fails

I also get messages of the form:

EXT3-fs error (device dm-3) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

and from syslogd

kernel: journal commit I/O error.

Other than /boot being on /dev/sda2 (ext3), the rest of the system is installed on a single lvm2 volgroup with 5 logical volumes: all with ext3
except a swap.

When these things happen, I think methods of logging are confined to
stylo & papier ... and I haven't had that subsystem fully functioning.

Thanks,

-Mike