[clue-tech] broadcom wireless help anyone?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:55:46 MST 2009

I just revived an older laptop (hp ze4600) with builtin broadcom (ie
crap) wireless. Even after numerous defrags, it was impossible to
resize the xp ntfs, so I just loaded linux - first sidux then current
ubuntu. Both use the latest debian approach b43-fwcutter and b43legacy
kernel module for the BCM4306 ver 02 card. Also tried ndiswrapper, but
no joy there either.

After massive googling, I'm pretty sure this wireless chip is just
plain unusable on linux.

Anybody have suggestions for an available plugin card that will work?
Also, how does such a card work in a unit that already has builtin
wireless? I see nothing in the bios for turning off the builtin card.

--
Collins Richey