[clue-tech] broadcom wireless help anyone?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Feb 25 20:35:15 MST 2009

Collins Richey wrote:
> I just revived an older laptop (hp ze4600) with builtin broadcom (ie
> crap) wireless. Even after numerous defrags, it was impossible to
> resize the xp ntfs, so I just loaded linux - first sidux then current
> ubuntu. Both use the latest debian approach b43-fwcutter and b43legacy
> kernel module for the BCM4306 ver 02 card. Also tried ndiswrapper, but
> no joy there either.

I've done this and it just worked.  b43-fwcutter handles all the
firmware steps at install.

> After massive googling, I'm pretty sure this wireless chip is just
> plain unusable on linux.

Since http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43 says it's supported
I think you're wrong.  But the card may be broken or you might be
getting tripped up by the Ubuntu network manager puzzle.

I assume you're using a kernel that supports b43.  This page has some
troubleshooting: http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

Why do you think b43legacy doesn't work?