[clue-tech] Christmas toys.

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jan 2 16:31:56 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 20:24 +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm busy building a new DIY Linux/LFS on my new laptop.  This is
> mostly 64-bit, but there is a 32-bit glibc for grub.  It's been a
> couple of years since I have done this, and I'm seeing changes here
> and there.  There is an /etc/ld.so.conf.d directory now to make it
> easier for packagers to update ld.so.conf.  And X.org can use dbus now
> to autodetect hardware, so in some cases, it might not be necessary to
> configure X.org.

I just upgraded to F10 this past week on my laptop and found the
autoconfig of the Intel driver is okay for a single display but not for
dual displays.  The problem is that the default config file -configure
creates (and is required to get dual head working in side by side mode)
doesn't work with dual head because of a bug that the F10 version of the
driver has (its apparently fixed in the xorg tree) when specifying a
Virtual size to a display.  The workaround requires disabling
acceleration (NoAccel = true), which means MythTV on my laptop while I
work on an external monitor doesn't work very well anymore (it works,
it's just rather jerky and action scenes are blurry).

F9 didn't have this problem.  Hopefully F10 will update the i810 package
soon to pick up the latest driver fixes.  If you use dual head with an
intel graphics chip (fairly common in laptops) you may want to be sure
to pick up the CVS xorg as I think this fix was just made in late
december.  Not sure if they do public tarballs on a frequent basis or
not.
--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org