[clue-tech] Christmas toys.

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 17:06:33 MST 2009

From: "Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>
> On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 20:24 +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> > I'm busy building a new DIY Linux/LFS on my new laptop.  This is
> > mostly 64-bit, but there is a 32-bit glibc for grub.  It's been a
> > couple of years since I have done this, and I'm seeing changes here
> > and there.  There is an /etc/ld.so.conf.d directory now to make it
> > easier for packagers to update ld.so.conf.  And X.org can use dbus now
> > to autodetect hardware, so in some cases, it might not be necessary to
> > configure X.org.
>
> I just upgraded to F10 this past week on my laptop and found the
> autoconfig of the Intel driver is okay for a single display but not for
> dual displays.  The problem is that the default config file -configure
> creates (and is required to get dual head working in side by side mode)
> doesn't work with dual head because of a bug that the F10 version of the
> driver has (its apparently fixed in the xorg tree) when specifying a
> Virtual size to a display.  The workaround requires disabling
> acceleration (NoAccel = true), which means MythTV on my laptop while I
> work on an external monitor doesn't work very well anymore (it works,
> it's just rather jerky and action scenes are blurry).
>
> F9 didn't have this problem.  Hopefully F10 will update the i810 package
> soon to pick up the latest driver fixes.  If you use dual head with an
> intel graphics chip (fairly common in laptops) you may want to be sure
> to pick up the CVS xorg as I think this fix was just made in late
> december.  Not sure if they do public tarballs on a frequent basis or
> not.
> --
> Michael J. Hammel
> mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org

I have an ATI Radeon chip in my laptop.  It's still fairly new, so X.org's driver might not be completely up to speed yet, but I think it is one that AMD released specs on in December.  I like the eye candy, but apart from Compiz, I have nothing that really needs 3D acceleration.

I might try using the laptop display and my external monitor and see how well it works.  How well can it handle different resolutions simultaneously?