[clue-tech] Christmas toys.

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jan 2 18:23:36 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 00:06 +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> I might try using the laptop display and my external monitor and see
> how well it works.  How well can it handle different resolutions
> simultaneously?

I can't speak for the ATI driver since I've never used them.  The intel
driver allows me to run 1280x800 on the laptop and 1280x768 on the
external monitor.  There are some limitations, however.  The default
Virtual space is only 2048x2048.  If you apply a Virtual setting larger
than this (to support side by side monitors instead of one atop the
other) then you lose 3D support.  That was with the driver as it was in
F9.  In F10, the current driver will not only not support 3D with
Virtual settings above 2048x2048 but it also doesn't have any hardware
acceleration.  At least not until the supposed fix makes into the i810
package.

>From what I read about this problem with the intel driver it appears to
have something to do with a new GEM architecture, though I know nothing
about that.  So this may or may not apply to other drivers.  See my blog
post for details of what I little I know about the problem:
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=302

--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org