[clue-tech] Google Android

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Mon Jan 5 14:46:14 MST 2009

> It's possible to order the G1 direct from Google.  Have to join Android
> Market for $25.  Phone is $400 delivered.  It is slightly different from
> the ones in the store - unlocked.

Huh, that's an interesting fact. I can see where that would be very useful
for a team of developers.

My VoIP box died last week, and after dealing with horrible customer
service, I figured I'd cancel my account and put the money towards a
cellphone plan. It worked out to be roughly the same price.

So that was what I needed. And on top of that, having wireless internet
access wherever I go is great. Having applications that know where you are
creates a new class of utilities I've never considered before.

So I'd never get a G1 without a service. Voice and Data is part of what
makes it great.

I've heard the G2 that will be coming out in a few months will be "Carrier
Agnostic". I was going to hold off on buying a replacement phone until
then. But I also heard it won't be coming with a mechanical keyboard,
which is something I wanted.