[clue-tech] Linux From Scratch

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jan 8 17:09:44 MST 2009

Bruce Ediger wrote:
> I am.  I've done LFS once, over a year ago, but I ditched it in favor of
> Slackware 12.0 for reasons I can't recall.

I did LFS a really long time ago but without package management I didn't
continue for long.  But it was a great learning experience.  So what
would you need to get a package manager?

You could build packages, and an installer, on your bootstrap system and
then do a "regular" install.

You could build an LFS system, and then build package management stuff,
then build packages to replace the LFS stuff, I guess.

In either case it's a lot of work to write your own spec/debian files.
So rather than download the original tars you'd d/l the source packages
and build those.  Not much different in that case, except make install
becomes apt-get install.  That would be cool.  You don't get anything
besides the learning experience but you'd be set to build new upstream
packages as soon as they were out (and contribute your fixes to your
distro).  Then you might have another reason to do LFS.

Yeah, that might be all right.