[clue-tech] Kubuntu 8.10 - enable wireless

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jan 22 20:28:10 MST 2009

Diane Williams wrote:
> This is my first attempt at becoming a Linux user. Installed Kubuntu 8.10
> from the CD successfully because the install program was smart enough to do
> all the work for me. I am dual booting with Windows Vista on an HP dv6871us
> laptop. Have been googling but so far I cannot find current information that
> I understand to enable a wireless Internet connection.

We'll be at installfest until 4 so you're welcome to come after your
class.  If you'll get there after 1 be sure to get my number of the web
page.

Your wireless is either an Intel 4965 or a Broadcom card.  Both should
be pretty easy to get the driver going.

Making the wifi widgets do the right thing seems harder but we got one
working last time.  I think they designed that thing to be completely
unintelligible to anyone with computer experience.  They can't have
managed it by accident. :-)

If you can't make the installfest ask back here.  But it's hard to help
on email without knowing your comfort level for installing things and
using the command line.