[clue-tech] installfest followup -wireless

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jan 24 22:00:42 MST 2009

Collins Richey wrote:
> I have had nothing but good results
> using Ceni and nothing but failures using network-manager, but maybe
> I'm prejudiced.

I don't use KNetworkManager because it isn't reliable for my WPA network
at home.  When I did use it, it was reliable at DeVry, but only if you
told it the WEP key was hex (there's a setting that's easy to find).

Since, I've been using wpa_suplicant with the Debian scripts that make
it work with ifup.  That is clumsy to configure but except for DeVry
it's worked everywhere I've tried it.  I can't figure out the WEP magic
to make it work at DeVry.  I noticed that the WAP is a Cisco 1200 series
(1230, maybe?) so perhaps I can find more info now.

If I had to have something that worked at DeVry I'd try Ceni.

> The package is from a Sidux developer, but afaik there are no
> dependencies on Sidux or sid.

Pity that it isn't in Debian.  I wonder what the "approved" solution is.
  I doubt that the Debian developers put up with either KNetworkManager
or wpa_suplicant.