[clue-tech] installfest followup -wireless

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 20:36:04 MST 2009

Sorry that I had to leave early. I hope everyone accomplished
something good today.

At least one attendee had problems getting a Ubuntu system using the
IMO accursed network-manager to connect to the Devry wireless. Another
person was running Sidux with the Ceni wireless manager, and he was
able to connect with no problems. I have had nothing but good results
using Ceni and nothing but failures using network-manager, but maybe
I'm prejudiced.

Ceni is a wireless manager for Debian systems that operates ncurses
style from a console session. After evaluating the choices, Ceni
updates the Debian standard /etc/network/interfaces file, then enables
the chosen wireless via standard network actions. The package is from
a Sidux developer, but afaik there are no dependencies on Sidux or
sid.

The package should work on any Debian based system. Try it if you
like. Here are the possibilities.

1. recommended.

 wget http://sidux.com/debian/pool/main/c/ceni/ceni_2.4_all.deb
 dpkg -i ceni_2.4_all.deb (sudo ... if doing things the Ubuntu way)
Ceni

2. In case that won't work, you can try this, since I have the package
installed in the standard fashion.

wget http://sidux.com/debian/pool/main/c/ceni/ceni_2.4.tar.gz
tar xvzf ceni_2.4.tar.gz
cd ceni-2.4/bin
./Ceni (or sudo .... in Ubuntu fashion)

Note that the package is lower case but the executable is upper case Ceni.

Enjoy

--
Collins Richey