[clue-tech] My questions--Installfest Recap

Mon Jan 26 12:57:23 MST 2009

The burritos were supposed to be free, but some people put money in the bag to help me pay for them.  I'm happy to give back any money of yours that you put in by misunderstanding.  This was supposed to be an illustrative exercise in how Free software works.  As I'm sure you know, nothing that takes work is actually free, including quality software, so it's important that we all give what we can.  Some use the software and provide feedback, some help others use the software, some contribute cash and gifts, some teach, some arrange rooms and teach and help, and buy beer.

:-)

I will try to be clearer next time.

David L. Willson
Network Engineer
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Meetin" <bobm at dottedi.biz>
To: "CLUE tech" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:31:36 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [clue-tech] My questions--Installfest Recap

The burritos were free?  Well dang.  I followed directions and littered
greenies in the burritos bag.  Did the bag get thrown out?!?!

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Charles W Downing wrote:
>> Gang,
>>
>> About 3:00, when I was getting ready to leave, Dave Wilcox asked me
>> if I had solved all of my problems.  I told him no, but I exaggerated.
>
> I'm glad you felt it was productive.  This was a hard installfest, but
> the best usually are.  We had about 25 people and I think everyone
> made some progress.  But with that many I just couldn't sit down long
> enough to learn how AIX is supposed to run on qemu, or why rpms don't
> do the selinux magic they need when they install.  So for anyone who
> felt like I ran off when things got hard I apologize.
>
> But we had several new installs, some hardware that we made work, and
> some progress with squid/squidguard.  Thanks to everyone who followed
> up on what you worked on.
>
> Jeff has set up his whole school on Ubuntu and had one of his teachers
> come in for an install on her new laptop.  And we both got to see how
> wubi works.
>
> Lori was "most adventurous", trying to get AIX (for PPC) to run under
> qemu.  That looks like a fairly new frontier (more questions than
> answers on Google).  She also showed us how easy it is now to run IE
> under wine.
>
> Thanks of course to DeVry for hosting us.  They make installfests
> easy.  And thanks to David (free as in freedom) Willson for the Free
> burritos!
>
> Dave

Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz
303-926-0167

Hook up with me on www.Twitter.com/bobmeetin, Facebook, LinkedIn,
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!