[clue-tech] My questions--Installfest Recap

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Jan 25 21:03:24 MST 2009

Charles W Downing wrote:
> Gang,
>
> About 3:00, when I was getting ready to leave, Dave Wilcox asked me if I
> had solved all of my problems.  I told him no, but I exaggerated.

I'm glad you felt it was productive.  This was a hard installfest, but
the best usually are.  We had about 25 people and I think everyone made
some progress.  But with that many I just couldn't sit down long enough
to learn how AIX is supposed to run on qemu, or why rpms don't do the
selinux magic they need when they install.  So for anyone who felt like
I ran off when things got hard I apologize.

But we had several new installs, some hardware that we made work, and
some progress with squid/squidguard.  Thanks to everyone who followed up
on what you worked on.

Jeff has set up his whole school on Ubuntu and had one of his teachers
come in for an install on her new laptop.  And we both got to see how
wubi works.

Lori was "most adventurous", trying to get AIX (for PPC) to run under
qemu.  That looks like a fairly new frontier (more questions than
answers on Google).  She also showed us how easy it is now to run IE
under wine.

Thanks of course to DeVry for hosting us.  They make installfests easy.
  And thanks to David (free as in freedom) Willson for the Free burritos!