[clue-tech] Sharing samba with libpam-mount?

Adrian F. Nagle, IV anagle at naglenet.org
Sat Jan 31 09:42:40 MST 2009

> From: David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us>
>
> Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> > I added "@include common-pammount" to etc/pam.d/login, su, and kdm
> > (and not the kdm-np).
>
> That's gutsy.  PAM is supposed to be very arcane.  It may put something
> useful in your logs though.  (/var/log/auth.log, I guess)
>
> You might also need the smbfs package if you don't already have it (contains the
> smbmount command).

I installed the smbfs package.

I checked the /var/log/auth.log, and there were plenty of pam messages.  Some recurring messages were:
PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so)
PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root

A search on the web suggested this was not a serious issue (at least for the poster's situation), but that installing libpam-smbpass would prevent the error.  I did that and now I only get the last two statements above.

One debugging suggestion was to use the mount comment to test the setup before running pam_mount.  I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.  I haven't read anything that suggests modifying the fstab, so I don't know how pam_mount would work through the mount command.  Perhaps this lack of understanding is my issue.

I try to mount the mount point, but of course, I get an error that there is no listing in fstab.

Adrian