[clue-tech] Sharing samba with libpam-mount?

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Sat Jan 31 10:07:44 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 08:42 -0800, Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:

> > From: David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us>
> >
> > Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> > > I added "@include common-pammount" to etc/pam.d/login, su, and kdm
> > > (and not the kdm-np).
> >
> > That's gutsy.  PAM is supposed to be very arcane.  It may put something
> > useful in your logs though.  (/var/log/auth.log, I guess)
> >
> > You might also need the smbfs package if you don't already have it (contains the
> > smbmount command).
>
> I installed the smbfs package.
>
> I checked the /var/log/auth.log, and there were plenty of pam messages.  Some recurring messages were:
> PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so)
> PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
> PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
> pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
> pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
>
> A search on the web suggested this was not a serious issue (at least for the poster's situation), but that installing libpam-smbpass would prevent the error.  I did that and now I only get the last two statements above.
>
> One debugging suggestion was to use the mount comment to test the setup before running pam_mount.  I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.  I haven't read anything that suggests modifying the fstab, so I don't know how pam_mount would work through the mount command.  Perhaps this lack of understanding is my issue.
>
> I try to mount the mount point, but of course, I get an error that there is no listing in fstab.
>
> Adrian

The pam_unix messages are normal.  The first means that your request for
a session was authenticated and approved.  I'm not sure about the other,
but I looked at my system and I see that these pam_unix messages
sometimes come in pairs.

I missed the start of this thread.  What is the problem?

@include common-pammount loads a set of shared pam directives into the
directive files you mentioned: login, su and kdm.  I'm guessing that you
want to use Samba to automatically connect and disconnect when you log
in and out?  That makes sense for login and kdm, but su?