[clue-tech] Messed up display, how to undo?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sat Jan 31 16:36:35 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 14:46 -0800, Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> I tried to turn on an external display on my laptop, but now I can't boot into X.

Boot into single user mode (at the grub prompt, add "single" to the boot
parameters).  When you get a prompt, go to /etc/X11 and, if xorg.conf
exists, move it to xorg.conf-.  Then exit.  The X server should default
to a proper configuration.  You can then check the xorg.conf- file to
see what got mucked up.

If there is no xorg.conf file, I don't know what Ubuntu changed to set
up the dual head (multiple monitors).  If you have an nvidia chip then
there *might* be some other config file out there, though nvidia also
uses the xorg.conf file.  All other chips are supported with the
xorg.conf file.
--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org