[clue-tech] nfs frustrations

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 15:22:06 MDT 2009

Ok so none of the options on an NFS mount do what I want it to do.
Maybe automount is the only solution, but for regular nfs...

1) There doesn't seem to be any way to get the system to automatically
unmount a filesystem that is not responding

2) There doesn't seem to be any way to tell NFS to fail within 1
minute.  I know the maximum retrans timeout is supposed to be 60
seconds, but after tweaking it

When a mount is unavailable (I'm using ls to test) ...
    - soft/hard doesn't seem to make any difference (I'm using ro,noexec)
    - retrans, timeo, retry don't seem to make any difference no matter
what settings I use
    - I've tried at least 10 combinations of the above, and ls returns
with an IO error within 3 - 5 minutes every time.

Oh well.  We're using nfs3.  Should I expect different behavior from nfs4 ?

Angelo