[clue-tech] VPN over Internet

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Mon Mar 2 07:41:07 MST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Irons" <michael at beckonsmeby.com>
To: "CLUE technical discussion" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2009 11:41:06 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [clue-tech] VPN over Internet

> I'm just looking for options. Which ones work well, etc.
>
> I don't know if logmein will run on Linux. In the past I've only used
> it to access a Windows machine.
>
> Now that I think of it, maybe I must use something like logmein, because
> the other computer is on a friend's computer on Comcast. Any IP address
> they give me would probably be unreachable from my end.

If you mean you won't be able to reach the IP address due to it being
dynamic, you can try something like
no-ip.com, dyndns, etc (there are many around). They allow you to keep
track of your IP address through client that updates the
dns record. There are several linux clients available.

Mike

The problem, unless I am wrong, is that although I can get the IP address of the other computer, is that it is only for that computer and network. But Comcast assigns an IP address to the broadband modem, and that modem has a DHCP server that assigns the computer its address. I suppose I can change DHCP settings so the computer always has the same address, but that is just a local address, not one I can access directly. It seems to me that it is necessary to use a third party, like logmein, that is already talking to that PC because it is running a program to talk to logmein. Without that program and without logmein, I cannot find that computer.

It's not insurmountable. It's just something I realized when I was thinking about how to set this up. I just need to choose which company to use.