[clue-tech] VPN over Internet

Jeremy Slade jeremy at jkslade.net
Mon Mar 2 20:53:13 MST 2009

I've used ssh tunneling for years to get out of my company firewall.  I
use VNC forwarding over ssh for bi-directional access -- see my home
desktop(s) from work or work desktop from home.

Recently I setup another ssh tunneling situation with some different
requirements -- the remote system that I want to access from home is
actually a shared computer, so I don't want anyone using it to be able
to ssh to my home network.

For that case, I do the initial tunneling with a tunnel-only account:
user 'ssh-tunnel' on my home linux box is a non-login account so ssh
can't be used to run commands, but it does work for port-forwarding.
So the remote system initiates the tunnel w/ ssh-tunnel user, and that
stays connected all the time.  Then I can ssh back to the remote system
from my normal user account.  The ssh-tunnel setup also forwards VNC for
remote access.

The remote system is WinXP, running openssh sshd on cygwin.  Works
reasonably well, including crond running with a job to re-start the
ssh-tunnel if/when it goes down.  I've only been doing it for a week or
so, but it seems pretty stable.

Jeremy